Wednesday, December 24, 2008

"We Go Out, We Hit People In The Mouth. That's Number One"

I just saw on ESPN that the San Francisco 49ers will be announcing their retention of MIke Singletary as Head Coach some time next week.



SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Mike Singletary has been a remarkable short-term solution to the San Francisco 49ers' woes. With each passing week, the interim coach is looking more like the long-term fix as well.

Coach Mike Singletary acknowledged meeting with the Niners' top officials about his future earlier in the week.

When the 49ers (6-9) began preparations Wednesday for their season finale against Washington, Singletary acknowledged meeting with the team's top officials about his future earlier in the week. According to the Sacramento Bee, Singletary laid out a plan for the 49ers that wowed the club's leadership, which could announce Singletary's appointment to the full-time job early next week.

"I will just say this: I don't interpret anything as ... really good or really bad," said Singletary, whose club has won four of its last six. "I think the most important thing is that I just continue to stay focused. After it's all said and done, we can look back at how positive things are, and our direction or whatever, and we can fully pay attention to it."



In my opinion this should have been a no brainer. Not only has Singletary gotten the team to play better, but he has also changed the atmosphere and culture around the team. In watching the 49ers under him I don't see a team that is just trying not to lose anymore, I see a team thats going out and trying to make wins happen. With this hire I think the York family, owners of the 49ers, have finally gotten it right and he will help to usher in a new era of 49er football. Thats not to say that they will be winning a Superbowl next year, but I will bet that they definitely won't be anybody's doormats any more either. Just watching this press conference from after Singletary's first game as interim Head Coach still gets me hyped. Thats old school baby. This is the kind of guy I could definitely get behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Come Hard Or Not At All!