Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Barkley Still Got It.

Charles Barkley has never been one to mince words. So it should have come to no surprise that he had a lot to say to ESPN about his alma mater of Auburn's handling of their search for a new Head Football Coach. I won't play up his words because they don't need any hyping but I just want to throw in my little two cents.

How in the Hell do you fire a Head Coach in Tommy Tuberville that has had only 2 losing seasons in 10 years only to hire a Head Coach in Gene Chizik that has won exactly 5 games in 2 years? Aside from the racial factor which is indeed apparent this is just stupid even when you focus solely on Chezik's record. Damn I wish UT played in the SEC West.

Now without further adieu, Sir Charles tell em how you really feel son!

"I think race was the No. 1 factor," said Barkley, who played basketball for three seasons at Auburn during the early 1980s. "You can say it's not about race, but you can't compare the two resumes and say [Chizik] deserved the job. Out of all the coaches they interviewed, Chizik probably had the worst resume."


snip

"I'm just very disappointed," Barkley said. "I just thought Turner Gill would be the perfect choice for two reasons: He's a terrific coach and we needed to make a splash. I thought we had to do something spectacular to bring attention to the program. Clearly, if we'd hired a black coach, it would have created a buzz."


snip

"My biggest problem with the black coaches is they're not getting jobs and they're getting [expletive] jobs when they are hired," Barkley said. "They're not getting good jobs. They're not getting jobs where they can be successful. That's why I wanted Turner to get the Auburn job. He could win consistently at Auburn. You can't win consistently at New Mexico. You can't win consistently at Kansas State. He could have won at Auburn."


I encourage everyone to actually click on the link because its a well written article and definitely worth the full read.

Oh and I just can't resist adding this video which confirms that Chuck is not alone in his opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Charles will never be Governor talking like that.

    4 out of 119 is a statistic that speaks for itself. People need to get better about this, especially in the academic community, where diversity is supposed to be a top priority. It makes me wonder how they reconcile the lack of black coaches with the abundance of black players.

    I don't think Auburn made a bigoted choice. I think they made a poor choice. Watching them lose will make me feel better about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more on this:

    http://esquiresworld.blogspot.com/2008/12/interracial-marriage-preventing-coaches.html

    ReplyDelete

Come Hard Or Not At All!