Friday, December 26, 2008

Breaking The Huddle

I caught the HBO special "Breaking The Huddle" the other night about the integration of black football players on to college teams in the South. I came away feeling very informed, profoundly moved and thoroughly entertained. HBO did the damn thang yet again and I recommend the documentary for just about anybody. It touched me particularly because I grew up in the south and heard some of the same kind of stories from my older relatives. Whether you are interested in sports or American history or just about stories of courage, this documentary has something for you. But don't take my word for it, the LA Times' Adam Rose has also weighed in.

For me, "Breaking the Huddle" helps break through that wall. It shows the day-to-day wrongdoing that went well beyond the notorious lunch counter. Maybe it's seeing a black man hit in the face by a white police officer's rifle butt. Maybe it's learning that Corso, of all people, recruited the first African American to play in the South. Maybe it's watching the old game footage that makes you want to jump on your feet and cheer for the pioneers of integration. Forget the passion of rooting against your rival -- this is a chance to root against evil itself.

Covering this topic requires a delicate touch and I was honestly surprised by how effectively HBO was able to present this story in just 60 minutes. I'm sure a lot of important film hit the cutting-room floor, but what made it into the documentary will benefit all who watch. At times, your blood will boil. At others, you'll laugh out loud. Throughout, you'll be exposed to emotions varying from pride and joy to hate and fear.


So when you get worn out with all of the holiday shows, set some time aside to check out this very powerful documentary. You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come Hard Or Not At All!