Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm Picking Florida

Update: SEC BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update II: This clip just about made me a full fledged member of the Tim Tebow fan club.



In any other situation I root against the Gators because of my UT Vols background but in the National Championship Game I have to roll with the fellow SEC team. Here are my reasons.

1. Tim Tebow: as much as I hate the cat when we are playing him he is a winner. He has that rare combination of immense physical tools and an uncanny knack for leading his team to victory. I would say I see him as a perfect hybrid of former Texas QBs Major Applewhite and Vince Young. Besides that, he is as big or bigger than all of the Sooner's starting linebackers. Its just hard to bet against the guy.

2. Team speed: Many people misunderstand what it really means for one team to have more team speed than another. They will look and say "well we have recievers and running backs and defensive backs who run fast too". But team speed means TEAM speed. The Florida recievers and running backs are some of the fastest in the country but then again their tight ends are also in the top percentiles in speed at that position in the country. But the speed of the Florida defensive line and linebackers is where I see the key to this game. Many times
Oklahoma has been able to use their tight ends effectively because they were bigger and faster than opposing linebackers but I think every one of the starting linebackers for Florida can run with any of Oklahoma's tight ends. The Florida defensive line is fast and emmensly talented. I am going to put my spotlight on #8 Carlos Dunlap defensive end for Florida. Dude is a straight up MONSTER and he hasn't even tapped into his full potential yet. If he has the kind of game I think he is capable of Sam Bradford might not last the whole night.

3. Special Teams.
#25 Brandon James is as dangerous as a return man as you will find in the country. Couple that with Oklahoma's problems covering kicks all year and tonight that could spell trouble, trouble.

4. Conference Strength: I personally think that Florida has already played against tougher teams than Oklahoma with their in conference schedule and the SEC Championship Game against Alabama (excepting Alabama's EPIC FAIL in the Sugar Bowl). I think being in those kinds of games and facing that kind of competition week after week will give Florida an edge tonight that Oklahoma simply won't have.


Well thats my case for Florida. Hopefully they won't shit all over themselves like my NFL playoff picks did this past week.

Go Gators!

3 comments:

  1. As a die hard Vol Fan, I bleed Orange, I totally feel you on only rooting for FL tonight because they're an SEC team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Alicia

    How long have you been a Vols fan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you didn't have the Over in this game. Tebow had a few bad passes, Bradford had an unlucky bounce, but credit the defenses. They showed up and shut down two serious offenses.

    ReplyDelete

Come Hard Or Not At All!