Sunday, January 18, 2009

Who Got Next?

Its that time again. This time we are two games away from the Superbowl and the matchups are explosive to say the least. Another smash mouth weekend is in store and we have the makings of a smash mouth Superbowl. I can't wait, which is why I am posting the matchups two days in advance. I will have my picks up tomorrow afternoon.

Sunday

NFC Championship Game

Eagles vs Cardinals

AFC Championship Game

Ravens vs Steelers


My picks

Cardinals: I think Larry Fitzgerald makes the difference in this game. With the way the Eagles like to blitz he is sure to get single coverage several times during the game. Kurt Warner will take a beating but I think his release is quick enough to take advantage of those times that Fitzgerald is open and hit him in stride. Another thing is the Arizona Defensive line which I think will put a lot of pressure on McNabb with out having to blitz a lot. That will allow them to play more zone which will limit the times that Westbrook gets to make big gains in the passing game. The X factor in my opinion is Dexter Desean Jackson returning kicks. Thats the one worry I have about this pick but I think Arizona will have good enough field position that when they punt it will usually be fair catch situations inside the Eagles 20 yard line.

Ravens: I don't honestly know why I am picking them other than statisically its almost impossible to beat a team 3 times in a year. I am worried A LOT about Rolle being out and Terrell Suggs being limited with his shoulder injury. I think they will make the same adjustment they made at halftime during the Titans game and start blitzing from Bart Scott's side a little more which will put more pressure on Rothlisberger. I don't see Willie Parker having the game that Chris Johnson was on the way of having either running the ball. X

Update I: One down, one to go!

Update II: The Ravens should fire their offensive coordinator immediately. How in the fuck do you get in the biggest game of the year and totally change your game plan? 1 carry for McClain? Thats just unacceptable and they should apologize to the defensive players for that bullshit. I am disgusted, not because I picked them. But because they totally gave the game away with their play calling. Ray Lewis said this was going to be a game with two teams who play the game the way its supposed to be played. The defense held up their end of the bargain but the offensive coordinator evidently thought Joe Flacco was Tim Tebow and this was the SEC Championship instead of the AFC Championship. Unbelievable.



5 comments:

  1. I have been wrong about the Cardinals every freakin' week. It's becoming hard to pick against Boldin & Fitzgerald. But Kurt Warner? I'll quote Chris Rock: "I thought I was done with him."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was right one week but wrong the next and honestly I am not sure now. But I think Arizona being at home in a dome is going to help them also even though I didn't put it in my post. Arizona is so starved for a winner that I would be surprised if the fans didn't blow the roof off of that place. Besides that Warner does some of his best work in a dome where weather isn't a factor. They are basically going to be playing in perfect conditions and so to me the focus turns to the offenses and I just think the matchups look better for Arizona. The thing a lot of people never focus on is that there is a reason that the Eagles blitz a lot and for the most part its because they don't have any dominant pass rushers. That means you have to put man to man behind those blitzes and Fitzgerald and Boldin if he holds up are just too good for that.

    Now there is one caveat that may seem minor but could be a hidden factor and thats the injury to TE Spach for the Cardinals. He doesn't have big numbers but when you lose your starting TE it hurts an offense more times than not if for no other reason than now your 3rd best guy has to come in and block on 2 TE sets.

    Hey man after the last two weeks I wouldn't listen to me about football picks anyway lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, the Cardinals defense seems to bring out the worst in teams. Donovan looked like trash until he woke up in the 3rd quarter.

    A Black Man in the White House and the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl. Yes We Can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now trying to figure out why the Ravens are trying to throw the ball instead of pounding the run. Doesn't make any rational sense

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok now I am wondering whose daughter McClain had his way with. This Ravens offensive game plan makes no damn sense at all.

    ReplyDelete

Come Hard Or Not At All!