Friday, January 16, 2009

Thats Yo Ass Mr Postman

The Buccaneers have finally fired Jon Gruden along with Bruce Allen. I have long argued that they were a package deal but I really didn't think the Glazers would have the balls to dismiss both of them due to the fact that they have never had to find either a coach or a GM all on their own. But something is lining up for me here and I am going to throw it out there and we can see if it happens. It has been reported since the regular season ended that Bill Parcells has the ability to leave the Dolphins if the sale of the team goes through. The Glazers have long sought after him, offering him the head coaching job behind the scenes before they had fired Tony Dungy in 2001. So I am saying he comes in as GM and shocks the world.



In the stunner of the off-season, the Bucs have fired head coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen.

"We will be forever grateful for Jon bringing us the Super Bowl title and we thank Bruce for his contributions to our franchise,'' said Bucs co-chairman Joel Glazer. "However, after careful consideration, we feel this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward.''

After failing to reach the playoffs for the fourth time in six years, the Glazer family which owns the Bucs decided it was time for a change after seven seasons with Gruden and five with Allen.

Tampa Bay was the first team in 15 years to start 9-3 and fail to reach the playoffs, losing their last four games in a row.

2 comments:

  1. He may be wearing clown shoes, but Gruden has won before and can win again. You have to think that Detroit is kicking themselves for signing Schwartz too fast. I doubt Gruden would take the job, but he is still one of the more accomplished coaches on the market right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I don't think the view of Gruden around the league is what a lot of people think it is. His handling of the QB situation here would make a lot of teams leery of him. Besides that the shine has come off of him in regards to being an "offensive guru". Any team wanting to hire Gruden would probably already have to have the players in place to make a run because he is absolutely horrible at developing players. I don't think the Lions would have considered hiring him because he doesn't know how to rebuild from the bottom up. Think about this, Warren Sapp and John Lynch, both key reasons for the turnaround of the Bucs don't have a lot of good things to say about Gruden.

    I would say the Jets might be interested because they already have the talent but once again they would have to develop a new QB if Favre doesn't come back and thats not his strong suit by a long shot. Now the caveat is that he and Favre know each other from his days at Green Bay and perhaps that could be a factor but I doubt it.

    Now on the other hand today I am hearing the Bucs are set to promote from within with Morris promoted to head coach and Dominick as GM. I like Morris but I don't know about him getting the job when he only has 2 seasons as an NFL position coach. I am hoping he knows enough people to build a strong staff and I am sure Tomlin and Dungy will help him out with that. He is a helluva motivator as a DB coach so I guess we just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete

Come Hard Or Not At All!