Sunday, January 11, 2009

Smash Mouth

Its that time again folks. The playoffs resume tomorrow and continue on Sunday with some great old school, smash mouth match ups. If you like defense and you like running game this is the weekend for you. Lets take a look at the matchups.


Saturday

Ravens vs Titans

Cardinals vs Panthers.


Sunday

Eagles vs Giants

Chargers vs Steelers

My Picks

Saturday

Ravens: Their defense is on a whole other level right now. I think they will bottle up the running game and force Kerry Collins into making bad decisions. Offensively the Ravens have come a long way also. Heap has a big game.

Panthers: The Cardinals showed life last week but with Anquan Boldin iffy and them facing a very physical and athletic Panthers Defense I have to give the edge to the Panthers. I would look for Steve Smith to have a big day. X

Sunday

Giants: Too much Brandon Jacobs this week. He is going to set the tone for the day and I think he will have the Eagles on their heels on defense. Also playing outdoors in the Meadowlands will not be conducive to McNabb throwing the ball all over the stadium.

Chargers: Because the Steelers have gone away from their running game I believe the elements will work in the Charger's favor. I also think that having to face a blitzing 3-4 defense every day in practice will help the Chargers handle the Steeler blitzes. Other than when they have Palomalu on him I don't think anyone else on the Steelers' team stands a chance of hanging with Antonio Gates.

Although nobody probably cares who I pick after my piss poor showing last week, I will once again be releasing them around midnight tonight.

Update I: Well I am starting out with a win so I feel a little better. The Ravens' D was definitely the key to that win. The turnovers they forced took points off the board for the Titans. And Chris Johnson getting hurt also was a gift from God for them. He was gashing them all over the place in the first half. Flacco showed up and Heap made a HUGE play on the game winning drive. The Titans D was balling too though and you couldn't have asked for a better game to watch.

Update II: I am writing this update early because this game is already over. Jake Dellhome just pissed away any chance the Panthers had of winning the game. To say he was an EPIC FAIL tonight would be an insult to EPIC FAIL. Don't get me wrong, the defense didn't exactly set the world on fire either but the interceptions Delhomme threw weren't even close. Double coverage every single time. It makes no sense in the world that he would just keep forcing the ball in those situations nor that the Panthers coaches never sat his ass down. So the Cardinals will be one game from the Superbowl. How do you love that lol?

Update III: Yes I still fucking suck. Talk about an EPIC FAIL on both sides of the ball for the Giants. Throwing into the wind leads to an int. Running twice on 4th down once with the season on the line and not getting it, blitzing from the edge and not getting there. Not playing zone even though the Eagles passed the ball twice as many times as running it. I don't know who but somebody did a piss poor job of game planning and if I was Coughlin I might consider giving Spagnulo the boot BEFORE he gets another job. To repeat again, I fucking suck at picking winning teams. Meh

Update IV: I don't know what the hell that was that the Chargers just did. Even the Panthers last night aside from Delhomme at least LOOKED like they gave a shit. Kudos to the Steelers. They got back to what they do best which is running the ball and Rothlesberger was HUGE on third down. But really the Chargers just laid down all over the field. I couldn't even begin to point out one guy because there were so many cats that were sleepwalking. But I will point out that #11's effort on the Santonio punt return for a TD was cowardly. I have seen kids in pop warner try harder to make a tackle than his bullshit drop and roll routine. Anyway I am just about ready to hang it up when it comes to making predictions. I am hereby firing myself. Have a good one and see you again next week.


5 comments:

  1. I'm staying away from the Ravens game. Too close to call. But I think you're going to get hosed on the Steelers game. The fact that the Chargers are playing well doesn't change the fact that they're entirely out of their league.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I actually want to see the Ravens win because watching them on Defense is lik watching the 49ers offense when they had Montana Rice Craig etc

    As for the Chargers normally I would argue the point but after my dismal performance last week all I can say is you're probably right.

    One thing I am concerned with is if Sproles gets run down from doing returns and running the ball how will his back up respond

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ravens d has been playing great, but don't you worry about a rookie QB going against the titans d? Kerry Collins isn't Montana either, but I think in a close game, he's a lot more likely to make a big play and a lot less likely to make a big mistake then Flacco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick C

    I do worry about the Flacco but they have protected him with play calling for the most part and I expect they will keep doing that today. Also the Titans are still banged up on the D Line and if they can't get any pressure with the front four and or can't stop the run between the tackles that will aid the Ravens in a major way. Also as for Kerry my only response to that is he will be facing the Ravens D while Flacco has to go against the Titans D and instead of choosing the QBs I think I am going to go with the Defenses and the Ravens D is just ridiculous right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cardinals played out of their minds tonight. Who knew their D had that much firepower? I saw them do this last week and just couldn't believe they could do it again. What are the odds we can get Delhomme to yell "They are who we thought they were!"?

    ReplyDelete

Come Hard Or Not At All!