Monday, March 23, 2009

What We Didn't Know About Debbie Wasserman Schultz

I have been a HUGE fan of Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz since she started advocated for then Senator Obama during the Presidential Campaign. YouTube is filled with moments where Mrs Schultz PWNED Republican flack after Republican flack on various talking head shows. She seemed to be maybe the best communicators of all of Obama's surrogates and she had a very pleasant demeanor through it all. I predicted she would do great things in the future. Well it turns out that Mrs Schultz deserves our respect even more than I previously knew.

WASHINGTON -- When Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz steps to the lectern at the Capitol on Monday to push for greater awareness of breast cancer risks in younger women, she'll be speaking from experience.

The Broward County Democrat and mother of three told The Miami Herald on Saturday that she successfully battled breast cancer for the past year and is going public with her story in the hope of alerting young women to its prevalence. She'll introduce legislation Monday that calls for a national education campaign targeting women between 15 and 39.

'I wanted to be able to not just stand up and say, `I'm a breast cancer survivor.' . . . I wanted to find a gap and try to fill it,'' said Wasserman Schultz, 42.

In the past year, she underwent seven major surgeries, including a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery, while balancing motherhood, Congress and her roles as a chief fundraiser for House Democrats and a political surrogate, first for Hillary Clinton and then for Barack Obama.

''I had a lot going on last year,'' she said with a laugh, sitting in the living room of the Capitol Hill town house she shares with two other members of Congress when she's in Washington. ``I'm a very focused, methodical person, and I wasn't going to let this beat me. I wasn't going to let it interfere with my life.''

She'll share her experience on national television Monday morning on ABC's Good Morning America with anchor Robin Roberts, who had breast cancer in 2007.

''What I realized through the year is, I thought I knew a lot about breast cancer but I really didn't, and most young women don't,'' Wasserman Schultz said.


snip

Wasserman Schultz discovered a breast lump through a self-exam, two months after her first mammogram at 40. Although the cancer was detected at an early stage, she also learned that as an Ashkenazi Jew of Eastern European descent, she was at greater risk of carrying a gene mutation that makes Ashkenazi Jews predisposed to breast cancer and recurrance. She tested positive for this BRCA2 gene mutation, prompting her to have both breasts removed.

She was also at higher risk of ovarian cancer and had her ovaries removed -- the day after Election Day. Her final surgery was in December, almost a year after her diagnosis.

Because the cancer was caught so early, she didn't need chemotherapy or radiation but will take the cancer drug tamoxifen for five years.

She said she decided to keep her cancer private, concerned mostly that her young children (then 8-year-old twins and a 4-year-old daughter) would worry, particularly with a mother who was also constantly on the go. They knew she was undergoing surgery, but she didn't tell them the cause.

'I knew from my doctors that if I went through their recommended course of treatment that I would get through it and I'd be fine, that I could come out the other side and confidently tell my children, `Mommy's fine,' '' she said. She planned to tell them Saturday night.

She scheduled her treatment at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., during congressional recesses so she wouldn't miss votes in Congress.


Speaking as a son who lost his mother to a recurrence of breast cancer I can't begin to tell you just how much more admiration I have now for Mrs Schultz. Not because she had cancer and won, but because she went through the ordeal with such grace and never allowed it to hold her back from her goals and working her ass off for now President Obama. And also because she is now coming out sharing a very personal story in order to be able to help other women who may be facing the same situation. So I honor you Mrs Schultz and pray that your cancer stays in remission.

(h/t Benen)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come Hard Or Not At All!