Monday, March 23, 2009

Did President Obama Accuse Dick Cheney Of Torture?

I just had a light bulb moment. I watched President Obama on 60 minutes and I was more than pleased when he blasted back at former Vice President Dick Cheney for saying that President Obama had made us less safe. But then I remembered a specific part of the answer that made me curious so I went back and looked at the transcript.




STEVE KROFT:A week ago Vice President Cheney-- said essentially that your willingness to shut down Guantanamo and to change the way prisoners are treated and interrogator-- interrogated-- was making America weaker and more vulnerable to another attack. And that-- the interrogation techniques that were used at Guantanamo were essential in preventing another attack against the United States.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: I fundamentally disagree with Dick Cheney. Not surprisingly. You know, I think that-- Vice President Cheney has been-- at the head of a-- movement whose notion is somehow that we can't reconcile our core values, our Constitution, our belief that we don't torture, with our national security interests. I think he's drawing the l-- wrong lesson from history.

The facts don't bear him out. I think he is-- that attitude, that philosophy has done incredible damage-- to our image and position in the world. I mean, the fact of the matter is after all these years how many convictions actually came out of Guantanamo? How many-- how many terrorists have actually been brought to justice under the philosophy that is being promoted by Vice President Cheney? It hasn't made us safer. What it has been is a great advertisement for anti-American sentiment. Which means that there is constant effective recruitment of-- Arab fighters and Muslim fighters against U.S. interests all around the world.



Now lets look at the relevant part again.


Vice President Cheney has been-- at the head of a-- movement whose notion is somehow that we can't reconcile our core values, our Constitution, our belief that we don't torture, with our national security interests.


This would seem to me to be a tacit admission by President Obama that Dick Cheney endorsed and ordered torture in the interests of national security which is against the Geneva Conventions and the Conventions against Torture signed by former President Ronald Reagan. Doesn't that mean that he HAS to have the Bush Administration investigated for torture? Isn't that what international law calls for? Im not saying I am an expert on these things because I am not. But somebody please tell me something.

1 comment:

  1. Nice catch. I've always thought that Obama thought that, but I guess I've really never heard him say it.

    ReplyDelete

Come Hard Or Not At All!