Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Sign Of Weakness

Remember President Obama And Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid threatening to use recess appointments to overcome holds on over 60 of Obama's nominees earlier this week? Yeah, that's not going to happen. And its not because they lifted all of the holds either. Its because they lifted less than half of them.

President Obama's statement:

Today, the United States Senate confirmed 27 of my high-level nominees, many of whom had been awaiting a vote for months.

At the beginning of the week, a staggering 63 nominees had been stalled in the Senate because one or more senators placed a hold on their nomination. In most cases, these holds have had nothing to do with the nominee’s qualifications or even political views, and these nominees have already received broad, bipartisan support in the committee process.

Instead, many holds were motivated by a desire to leverage projects for a Senator’s state or simply to frustrate progress. It is precisely these kinds of tactics that enrage the American people.

And so on Tuesday, I told Senator McConnell that if Republican senators did not release these holds, I would exercise my authority to fill critically-needed positions in the federal government temporarily through the use of recess appointments. This is a rare but not unprecedented step that many other presidents have taken. Since that meeting, I am gratified that Republican senators have responded by releasing many of these holds and allowing 29 nominees to receive a vote in the Senate.

While this is a good first step, there are still dozens of nominees on hold who deserve a similar vote, and I will be looking for action from the Senate when it returns from recess. If they do not act, I reserve the right to use my recess appointment authority in the future.


I just have to shake my head at this. Why take recess appointments off the table because Republicans gave less than half of his nominees, some of whom have been waiting for over half a year, an up and down vote?

I swear I just don't understand this administration. Not. At. All.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come Hard Or Not At All!