Thursday, March 18, 2010

About Bart Stupak's Sexism

Am I really the only person who thought that Bart Stupak's statement dismissing the endorsement of the health care reform bill by 59,000 nuns as the epitome of sexist? Lets think about what he is saying here.

"When I'm drafting right to life language, I don't call up the nuns." He says he instead confers with other groups including "leading bishops, Focus on the Family, and The National Right to Life Committee."


Translation?

When I am writing about a woman's reproductive rights I want nothing to do with the opinions of women of the cloth (nuns) and instead restrict my outreach to men of the cloth (bishops) or organizations headed by men (FOF and NRTL).

I wonder if he were righting language about men's reproductive health he would only consult with NOW.

Its worth pointing out that his primary opponent is also a woman. If she has a campaign advisor worth his salt this quote of Stupaks will come back to bit him in the ass in a major way.

One can only hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come Hard Or Not At All!