Saturday, August 8, 2009

History In The Making

Judge Sonia Sotomayor is now Justice Sonia Sotomayor.



I thought about something today that I think will be interesting to keep an eye out for. There has been a lot of talk about how the GOP treatment of Justice Sotomayor will hurt them with Hispanics. But a question that many haven't asked is how their treatment may have affected Justice Sotomayor herself. Don't get me wrong, its not that I think she will shun the Constitution in order to stick it to conservatives. But I do think in a lot of cases there are grey areas. Especially on cases that pertain to race whether it be affirmative action cases or Title IX cases or any kind of discrimination or profiling cases. I keep hearing from some law professors on TV, some of whom I get the impression are just hating (Johnathan Turley I'm looking at you), that Justice Sotomayor will dissappoint liberals and progressives at times. But maybe, just maybe after this debacle she won't.

Obviously it will be impossible to measure how much the disgraceful behavior by the GOP will affect any of her decisions, but I do think it bears watching to see just how "liberal" she ends up voting going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come Hard Or Not At All!