Sunday, July 12, 2009

Discrediting "Sicko"

This clip of Bill Moyers discussing the concerted efforts of the Health insurance industry to discredit Michael Moore's film "Sicko" is sickening. Its great that Wendall Potter is coming forth now to tell the truth but I fear the damage has been done. But the one way to combat all of the lies that have been told over the years about health care and the effects of any reforms is to pass this clip along to every person you know. I know many people never waste an opportunity to pass along a chain email anyway. Well the stakes are much higher with health care reform and so the need for this to go viral is much greater. Please take the time out to get the url from youtube and distribute it to as many people as you can.


4 comments:

  1. I saw the Bill Moyers program last night. I guess that we all know what these people are capable of, the ones who want to make money by depriving people of health care, but when you hear about specific actions it is still apalling.
    Why do we put up with this? And how can they get so many people to repeat their mantras?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its all about money and incidentally power. Because elections are now about who can raise the most money the people giving the majority of that money are seen as wielding the power. And until we take that away from them they will continue to have a bigger voice at the table than our own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, and those who support single payer healthcare do not even have a seat at the table.
    I'm just afraid that the "reform" will produce healthcare that is as limited as what we already have, but will include some of the uninsured so they can say there was reform.
    Then it will take years for any kind of real reform as we will have to see the failures. I guess I'm a pessimist.
    I am losing my healthcare benefits on August 4 and have been shopping for individual policies. All I can afford is one of the high deductible plans that is really just catastrophic coverage. I have to ask who even considers this to be healthcare. Healthcare should be about prevention, avoidance of catastrophe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I am hopeful, probably more hopeful than most, because I do see the political will this time. Not as strongly as I would like but I think public opinion on the issue is also nudging people in the right direction. I believe that the "usual suspects" in the Democratic party who normally would derail HCR realize there will be a major political price to pay this time if they do. And that people are a lot more informed this time and just some watered down bullshit won't do. That is my hope anyway. I agree with you about catastrophic insurance. I have faced that same decision, made much harder because I also have children to think about. So I pray you find something better and that will fit into your budget. And I also pray we get real reform this time.

    ReplyDelete

Come Hard Or Not At All!